‘My puppy spent three days in intensive care after playing with sticks’ | TeamDogs
NEWS

‘My puppy spent three days in intensive care after playing with sticks’

Brodie was playing in the garden when he started to have breathing difficulties as the back of his throat had swollen significantly

Paul McAuley

Posted 32d ago

We all do it, we all let our dogs play with sticks, it’s just a bit of fun isn’t it?

Well, what can seem harmless to us, can seem something completely different to the experts.

One vet has issued a warning  to dog owners after a young Labrador spent three days in intensive care after playing with a stick.

Brodie was playing in the garden when he started to have breathing difficulties as the back of his throat had swollen significantly.

READ MORE: The moment dad who lost sight overnight learns to trust guide dog | TeamDogs

After being called by his owner, they noticed he had a stick in his mouth.

The stick hit the ground and then went down into Brodie’s throat - so deeply that it began to scrape the surface of his voice box.

The eight-week-old pup ended up in high-dependency care for three days needing oxygen, tracheostomy tube care, IV fluids, tube-feeding and multiple medications.

Prue Neath, the clinical director at Northwest Veterinary Specialists in Runcorn, who is a specialist in small animal surgery said: “A day after the incident, he was suffering from breathing difficulties and gagging.

"An examination revealed extensive swelling of the back of his throat. The emergency clinic had to place a tracheostomy tube as his throat was becoming obstructed by swelling.

“He was transferred to our care the following day and fortunately, a CT scan confirmed there were no signs of the stick tearing through the wall of Brodie’s throat.

"This meant extensive surgery could be avoided and we were able to place a feeding tube through the side of his neck."

Later examinations then showed that thankfully the swelling had gone down and his voice box was on the mend.

Prue added: “Following his check-up, Brodie is now doing extremely well and is full of mischief!”

Fortunately, Brodie has been able to make a full recovery thanks to the care provided but the vet said that this case was an example of why owners should try and avoid letting their dogs play with sticks.

READ MORE: Should you leave the room when your dog is being put to sleep? | TeamDogs

Prue said: “Clearly exercise is essential for a dog’s physical health and mental wellbeing but it should be both good fun and safe play.

“Sticks present a host of dangers, ranging from being impaled on one that’s become stuck in the ground, damage to the mouth, throat and stomach from catching and inadvertently swallowing sticks and also from infections caused by penetrating fragments of wood.

“We’re advising all our dog owners to use dog-safe toys as alternatives to sticks to minimise the risk of some of the dramatic cases we’ve seen here recently.”

Keep up to date with TeamDogs news by following our social pages. As well as videos, tips and advice, we’ll also be sharing your fabulous photos of your very best pals so follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter.

Comments