Posted 6 months ago ago
A big, beautiful bunch of flowers is often the gift of choice for Mother’s Day - but be careful which ones you choose, as some could be very dangerous for pets.
Some popular floral choices can be incredibly damaging, even if only a small amount has been ingested.
Different flower varieties all have different effects on pets, however, it is important to be aware of the common symptoms to look out for. Symptoms could include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate, lethargy and weakness, loss of appetite, seizures/tremors, or bleeding.
The experts at GoCompare have put together this short guide on how to keep your pets safe and avoid sickness this Mother’s Day, revealing some of the most toxic plants, and safer options to buy instead.
The 10 most common Mother’s Day flower varieties that are a risk to dogs and cats:
- Tulip - Tulips are an in-demand choice for Mother’s Day. The colour purple represents royalty while pink expresses affection, making them a popular choice for Mother’s Day. However, pet owners are commonly unaware they are in fact toxic for both cats and dogs. Consumption often leads to vomiting, diarrhoea, hypersalivation, and even depression amongst pets.
- Carnation - This is a traditional, but popular choice for Mother’s Day or Mothering Sunday, as it’s known in the UK. They were first sent by the founder of Mother’s Day in the USA, Anna Jarvis to 500 mothers in West Virginia to celebrate her late mother. The white flower represents pure and unconditional love. Pet owners, however, should be aware that if consumed by pets they can be dangerous. The toxicity of the plant can cause skin irritation and diarrhoea for animals through both exposure and ingestion.
- Lily - Lilies can be extremely poisonous for pets, especially cats, and are the most dangerous flower to have at home. Even if swallowed in very small amounts from just licking the plant, it can lead to incurable poisoning and kidney failure.
- Daffodil - All parts of this yellow flower are toxic to pets. However, the bulbs are particularly poisonous like many spring flowers. Eating a daffodil can cause severe vomiting and health conditions for pets.
- Iris - Iris are also toxic to pets, commonly causing tummy and skin irritation alongside gastrointestinal symptoms when eaten.
- Hyacinth - A popular plant in spring as well as Mother’s day, Hyacinth are also very toxic to pets, causing both internal and external irritation.
- Pink Roses - Pink roses rather than red are the perfect gift for Mother’s day as they represent admiration. While these roses aren’t severely toxic, they can cause upset stomachs when consumed by your pet.
- Rhododendron - Toxic to both cats and dogs, the leaves in particular are most toxic when consumed with symptoms developing in as little as minutes after ingested.
- Hydrangea - Hydrangeas are toxic to both cats and dogs as they contain cyanide. They are rarely fatal but can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, and in some cases depression.
- Orchids - Orchids are another popular choice for Mother’s day flowers. Pink varieties in particular represent elegance and femininity. While Orchids are not as deadly in comparison to other flowers, when consumed they can cause tummy aches and vomiting in pets.
Sally Jaques, Pet Insurance Expert at GoCompare, added: “Pet emergencies and incidents can occur when curious pets eat gifts such as flowers and chocolates.
“It is very important owners consider whether the gifts they purchase are "pet-friendly" and make sure they take the precautions to keep these out of reach from their pets.
“If you do notice any of the symptoms listed and suspect your pet has eaten something harmful, contact a vet for advice as the sooner you react the better chance you will give your pet to recover.”
10 Mothers Day flower varieties that are the safest for pets:
- Roses with no thorns