Love daffodils? This is why your dog doesn't | TeamDogs
NEWS

Love daffodils? This is why your dog doesn't

Experts warn some common garden plants are highly poisonous for dogs

Caroline Abbott

Posted 2 months ago ago

You should keep your dog away from certain common garden plants (Image: Getty)

Watching dogs sniff flowers may seem like a good photo opportunity, but veterinary experts are warning owners that some common garden flowers and plants are toxic and could even be fatal, writes Hannah Hastings in The Express.

Pets who are caught eating or smelling these plants must go to the vet immediately, and it’s important to take along a piece of the flower or plant to help identify the potential side effects and cure your dog quickly.

Symptoms of a dog coming into contact with a toxic plant include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, salivation and weakness.

To help spot which outdoor and indoor plants your dog should avoid, here’s a list of the most common ones you may not have realised could be dangerous:

Autumn Crocus

These pretty plants contain colchicine, which is extremely toxic to dogs, says American Kennel Club chief veterinary expert, Dr. Jerry Klein.

Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal bleeding, severe vomiting, kidney and liver damage, and respiratory failure, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

Symptoms might be delayed for several days, the American Kennel Club warns, so it is important to seek veterinary attention if you suspect your dog has ingested the plant.

Daffodils (Image: Rosemary Calvert/Getty)

Daffodil

This bright yellow flower is a popular choice for many well-cared-for flower beds but poses a risk for your four-legged friend.

Daffodils contain lycorine and other alkaloids that are toxic to dogs, Klein told Newsweek.

Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, salivation, diarrhea, low blood pressure and even tremors. Bulbs are the most poisonous part of the plant, the ASPCA warns.

Elephant Ear

These common household plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and chewing or biting the leaves or stem will release these crystals causing a toxic effect, the Pet Poison helpline warns. Very rarely, swelling of the upper airway occurs making it difficult to breathe.

If consumed, this plant can cause oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty in swallowing, the ASPCA warns.

Foxgloves (Image: itsabreeze photography/Getty)

Foxglove

Although beautiful to look at, all parts of these delicate flowers - from the seeds to the petals - are extremely toxic to dogs and ingestion can cause cardiac failure and even death, the Pet Poison Helpline warns.

The plant contains cardiac glycosides such as digitoxin, digoxin, and digitalin.

Rhododendron

The entire genus of this plant species is extremely dangerous to dogs. Eating even a few leaves can cause serious issues for a dog, including vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, paralysis, shock, coma, and death, the American Kennel Club warns.

"Azaleas and Rhododendrons contain a neurotoxin called Grayantonin, a toxin that affects the body's sodium channels which can then affect muscle tissue of the heart and skeletal muscles," Klein said. "All parts of the plant can be toxic and even small ingestions of the plant are dangerous to dogs."

As little as ingestion of 0.2 percent of an animal's body weight can result in poisoning, the Pet Poison helpline warns. With treatment, prognosis is fair.

Sago Palm

This houseplant is a popular choice and places in and around homes for its resemblance to a small palm tree, however it is actually not a palm tree at all.

"All parts of the sago palm are considered toxic to dogs," Klein said. "But the seed from the female sago is considered the most toxic part of the plant."

Sago Palms contain Cycasin which causes severe and sometimes fatal liver failure in dogs, the veterinary expert warned.

These flowers are harmful to dogs - mainly because of their bulbs, which can be dug up by curious canines in the garden, and are toxic if ingested.

"These plants usually contain specific toxins throughout the plant (glycosides), but the compounds tend to have much more concentrated alkaloids in the bulb," Klein said.

"Glycoside toxicity is usually exhibited with gastrointestinal signs such as drooling, vomiting and diarrhea but can range to neurologic and cardiac changes in extreme cases."

Tulips and hyacinths also contain the alkaloid Tuliposide A, Klein added.


Comments
Be the first to comment!