Incredible things dogs have eaten… including a threaded needle and an eight-inch kitchen knife | TeamDogs
NEWS

Incredible things dogs have eaten… including a threaded needle and an eight-inch kitchen knife

You won’t believe the X-rays, says writer Elizabeth Davidson

Susan Griffin

Posted 32d ago

Dogs will eat anything – gloves, plastic, stones and famously, homework! However, that’s nothing compared to the weird and wonderful items that have been removed by the unshockable vets at the PDSA (People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals).

It may be because of a behavioural condition called Canine Pica, the persistent consumption of non-food, or it might be simple, old-fashioned curiosity. We know what curiosity did to the cat – but somehow these dogs all survived to tell the tale.

Over the years, PDSA vets have seen some incredible cases – Macie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, for example, whose X-ray showed she had swallowed an eight-inch kitchen knife (she recovered).

Macie survived swallowing a knife (PDSA)

The vet in charge, Emily Ronald, said she’d never seen an X-ray like it before. Macie was only 12 weeks old when the incident happened. Luckily, the knife went down handle first – if it had been the other way round, there is no way she would have survived.

Blue, a Whippet, swallowed some Ecstasy tablets when out for a walk. She recovered from her encounter with Class As after a night in hospital. 

Read more: Is it a bat? No, it's Skylar

Chase had a ‘Despicable’ time when he swallowed an egg – a chocolate egg (toxic to dogs) with a plastic Minion inside. He lived to tell the tale.

Puppy Domino ate a hearing aid – not the most digestible of items. She had an emergency operation and survived.

Rottweiler Broxi had a needle lodged in the back of her throat – and it was still threaded!

A stictch in time for Rottweiler Broxi (PDSA)

The vet in charge used the thread to ease the needle out, saving her from a tricky operation. Broxi was lucky – if the needle had reached her spinal cord, it could have caused meningitis or left her paralysed.

The needle retrieved from Broxi (PDSA)

Some dogs like to help with housework. Shih Tzu Alfie took this to another level by swallowing a kitchen scourer. Luckily, after an injection to make him sick, Alfie vomited up the abrasive sponge.

Diesel ate the top of a baby’s bottle. It created a clear image in the X-ray and vets soon had him back on his feet.

Don't swallow it again, Diesel (PDSA)

Last Christmas, a Great Dane cross called Dexter got into the festive mood by consuming three feet of tinsel, which the vet was able to pull out from his stomach in one piece!

Cooper, a Yorkie, was another canine patient with an unusual appetite. X-rays showed an unidentified mass in his stomach – PDSA vets operated to discover 22 hair bobbles and a button.

Cooper, the Yorkie (PDSA)

Then there is the case of Beagle-Harrier cross Beau, who swallowed nine socks – all recovered by Vets4Pets in Lisburn, Co Antrim, as reported in Teamdogs.

Last but not least we have Hector, a pebble-obsessed Basset Hound. Owner Claire Houghton had to cover the ornamental stones in her garden with plastic matting to stop Hector eating them – but he tunnelled underneath and continued his stony snacks. After vomiting and refusing to walk one morning, he was taken to the vet where X-rays showed a pebble in his intestine and one in his stomach.

Read more: Dog and owner travel with special bond

Elizabeth Sharples, principal vet at Vets Now in Chippenham, who operated on Hector, said: “Some dogs will eat literally anything and, as Hector’s case shows, this can be very dangerous. Owners who have a dog who eats stones or other ‘foreign objects’ should keep a close eye on their pet’s behaviour and health.”

Keep up to date with TeamDogs news by following our social pages. As well as videos, tips and advice, we’ll also be sharing your fabulous photos of your very best pals so follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter.

Comments