Greedy Beagle ‘lucky to survive’ after eating corn on the cob | TeamDogs
NEWS

Greedy Beagle ‘lucky to survive’ after eating corn on the cob

Vets are now warning owners of the dangers it can cause our dogs

Danielle Elton

Posted 5 months ago

Beagle Marmite found himself in a life-threatening condition after eating something he shouldn’t.

The greedy dog scoffed the remnants of a corn on the cob, something that can be potentially fatal for dogs.

Marmite was so sick that his owner feared he wouldn’t make it, but thanks to emergency surgery, he is now on the mend.

Unlike most vegetables, corn-on-the-cobs don’t digest in a dog’s stomach. This was the case for Marmite, who had to have part of his intestine removed due to the positioning of the husk.

It’s thought the husk had been in the nine-year-old's gut for a considerable amount of time before causing a serious blockage. 

If the husk ends up resting in the digestive system it can be there until it passes through to the intestine or until it’s surgically removed. 

This can sometimes take weeks or even months. 

Owner Helen Harvey, from Andover, Hants, only realised something was wrong when Marmite started being violently sick. 

Helen and her family adopted Marmite when he was three and learned he’d a history of eating so-called foreign objects, including socks. 

Incredibly, this was the second time Marmite has needed critical care after scoffing a corn husk — and it shows the danger of discarding them thoughtlessly after barbecues and meals.

They always kept a close eye on him while out for walks but four years ago he ate a corn on the cob he’d found in a discarded fast-food container. 

On that occasion he needed urgent veterinary treatment to remove it. But this time it took far longer for Marmite's gluttonous ways to come back to haunt him. 

Helen remembered vividly the day, several weeks earlier, he swallowed the cob as she had a sinking feeling it could eventually make him ill. 

She recalled: “I cried walking home as I thought it would cause him problems, but nothing seemed to be wrong with him, to begin with. 

“Then he suddenly started being sick. 

“He was sick seven or eight times, real projectile vomiting that went everywhere,” Helen added. 

“We were concerned and, by this time it was 1 am, so it was a real godsend to have Vets Now on the end of the phone. 

“I was told to take him straight down to the clinic and it was a worrying journey. He was so ill that I thought I was going to lose him this time.” 

The Vets Now clinic in Winchester is one of a nationwide chain of more than 60 hospitals and clinics open seven days a week for out-of-hours pet emergencies. 

As soon as he was handed over, the skilled team swung into action.  

Molly Wilson, who is a vet nurse at Vets Now in Winchester, said: “Marmite was in a lot of pain and retching badly when he was brought in. 

“We stabilised him and performed various tests which highlighted there was a high chance of an obstruction in the small intestine. 

“We kept a close eye on him overnight and, thankfully, he remained stable enough to be transferred back to his daytime practice, Foxcotte vets, the next morning.” 

Later that day, Marmite underwent a four-hour operation to remove the corn on the cob that involved cutting away a few inches of his intestine. 

He then returned to Vets Now for further post-operative care. 

Vet nurse Molly added: “In the end, he was very lucky to survive. There was a risk of complications, and the operation to remove the cob came with its own dangers. 

“But Marmite’s case was a great example of the Vets Now team working together with one of our daytime partner practices to save a life.” 

Thankfully, the operation and all the ongoing care were a success and Marmite is now back to his old self. 

After a double drama involving corn on the cob, Helen admits she is more cautious than ever about what Marmite may be able to get hold of. 

And with the barbecue and picnic season now underway, she is right behind Vets Now’s calls for increased awareness about corn husks.

“I was most impressed by the level of care and customer service that I received at Vets Now. Both vet Jacek and vet nurse Molly were brilliant. 

“I know of a neighbour whose Labrador had to be put to sleep after eating a corn on the cob, so they can be so dangerous,” said Helen. 

“Try and be as vigilant as you can and definitely get help just as soon as you can if you suspect they’ve eaten one of these.” 

Vets Now has drawn up an advice guide on what to do if your dog eats corn on the cob.

Comments
Be the first to comment!