Posted 2 months ago ago
Sam’s head stuck through the front gate of his family home: Alun Boore
Last Friday on July 2, the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service received a call about a dog in Cardiff who had managed to get his head stuck in a gate. Sam, a 9-year-old golden retriever, had been following a scent through the front gate of his home when he found himself stuck.
The incident happened on Bishops Road in Whitchurch, Cardiff. Sam, owned by the Boore family, had put his head between a pillar and a gate to get at the scent. He then found himself unable to retrieve his head to join the rest of his body. His head was stuck on the street side of the fence, while his body remained in his family’s garden.
Alun Boore, his wife Rebecca, and two children Elen and Rhodri tried to lift the gate off its hinges to free Sam. They were joined by members of the public and neighbours but to no avail. Even a car jack would not budge the gate.
Alun said, “Sam was quite calm most of the time, with the occasional struggle to free himself.”
At around 5:13pm, the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called, and they arrived little more than 10 minutes later.
The South Wales Fire and Rescue Service helping out: Alun Boore
The Service reported, “Firefighters used specialist tools to free the dog who was left in the care of its owners.”
Alun explained the rescue team used a tool to raise the gate from its hinges to free Sam, much to the relief of both Sam and the family. The rescue service left Sam in the care of the family.
“We are extremely grateful to South Wales Fire and Rescue who were very calm, efficient and kind,” said Alun.
Sam returned to his family safe and sound: Alun Boore